Google Chrome is the most used web browser. Most of the people have Google Chrome as their default browser on Windows PC’s, MacBooks, Smartphones etc. This makes this browser our go-to every time whenever we want to surf the internet. But Chrome is not a perfect piece of software. It shows errors at times. In this article, we will talk about how to fix Chrome Error Code 3: 0x80040154. This error is usually a result of some problems in Windows registry files. If you have tried to update google chrome and seen this error, there is no need to worry. This guide will help you fix Chrome Error Code 3: 0x80040154 or error code 3: 0x80080005.
Google Chrome Error Code 3: 0x80040154 Solution:
If you tried to update Google Chrome on your PC and saw this error – An error occurred while checking for the update. Update check failed to start error code 3: 0x80040154 – system level. We will help you solve this Google chrome error code 3: 0x80040154 issue in no time. Just try these methods step by step.
Try to close Chrome browser completely and relaunch it. Then try to update Chrome.
If restarting Chrome does not help and you are still unable to update Chrome and keep seeing error code 3: 0x80040154. Just restart your PC once completely and then launch Chrome and try to update again.
Enable Google Update Services:
- Press Windows + R keys to open the run command box
- In the Run dialogue box type ‘services.msc’ and click OK.
- In the Services windows, find ‘Google Update Service (gupdate)‘ and right click to go to Properties.
- Set the Startup type to Automatic or to Automatic (Delayed Start) and click OK.
- Then find ‘Google Update Service (gupdatem)’ and right click to go to Properties.
- Set the Startup type to Manual and click OK.
- Restart computer and try to Update Chrome.
Enabling Chrome Update in Windows Registry:
- Open Start menu. Search for ‘regedit.exe’. Open it.
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Google\Update.
- Double click on UpdateDefault key.
- Change its value to 1.
- Then, Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Google\Update.
- Double click on UpdateDefault key (if exists) and change the value data to 1.
- Save and restart your computer.
- Try to update Chrome, error code 3: 0x80040154 should be resolved.
If Chrome Error Code 3: 0x80040154 – An error occurred while checking for the update. Update check failed to start error code 3: 0x80040154 — system level is still not solved.
Uninstall and Reinstall Google Chrome:
- Go to Control Panel and Uninstall Google Chrome.
- Restart PC.
- Download Google Chrome latest version and install.
We hope this guide was helpful in solving Google Chrome update error that you faced.