Reset Chrome Settings – Restore To Their Original Defaults
Google Chrome is an extremely fast web browser; it loads and displays web pages very quickly. At some point, the browser will have a lot of junk files, cookies and cache which causes the browser to act slow and not operate properly.
There is also the case of adware and malware where it consistently pop-ups ads and crashes when you open the browser. If your Google Chrome is following any of the issues above, there are 2 methods below that can help you reset and restore Google Chrome original settings.
Here’s How To Reset Chrome Settings And Restore Them
Below are the two methods to restore Google Chrome settings:
Method 1: Resetting Google Chrome to default from Settings
This method will help you restore all your browser settings to default and it will also reset your homepage, search engine and remove your extensions. It will also help you clear all the cookies, junk files and cache hoarded in your browser. However, it won’t remove your bookmarks and passwords.
1. Click the 3 vertical dots icon in the upper-right corner of the browser. Then browse through the options and select ‘Settings’.
2. Once you are in the Settings tab, scroll all the way to the bottom of the page and click on ‘Advanced’.
3. The advanced settings screen will be displayed. Once again, scroll all the way to the bottom till you see the ‘Reset and Clean’ section. Click on ‘Restore Settings to their original defaults’.
4. A pop-up window will appear and will ask your confirmation. Click ‘Reset Settings’ to ‘Reset Chrome Settings’.
Method 2: Uninstalling Google Chrome
Uninstalling Google Chrome can completely Reset Chrome Settings, bookmarks, extensions, history and passwords. So make sure you have a Gmail account to sync all the chrome data before following the below steps.
1. Click the start menu and select the ‘Settings‘ icon.
2. In the Settings window, Search and Click on ’Apps’ followed by ‘Apps and Features’.
3. Under ‘Apps and Features’, browse through the apps and click ‘Google Chrome’.
4. Click ‘Uninstall’. A confirmation box will pop-up, confirm by clicking’ Uninstall’.
5. Navigate to “C:\Users\<User_Name>\AppData\Local\Google\” and then delete the Chrome folder. This will delete all the user data.
6. And then you can simply download the latest version of Google Chrome and install it.
All of your chrome’s bookmarks, user data, history, cache, cookies and site data will be cleared away and you will get a crisp Google Chrome Browser functioning on your computer. Hope the guide on how to reset Chrome settings has benefitted you in resolving the issues.